Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Just enough faith to see the beauty

   I didn't think this flower had much potential to be completely honest with you. This past early spring I was buying my seed packets. All organic and probably more packets than I needed for the space I had. I was dreaming. Once I tallied up how much I had spent I spoke to myself at the store, "Alright, that's enough for today, Jame. No more. You've got a lot of work ahead of you." Yes, I speak to myself when spending money :) (but not out loud...haha). Such as "Those 3 shirts are adorable but you must only choose one today." or at Costco (if you know me, you know it's my happy place) "It's either guac or hummus today." Hard decisions I tell ya.


   So on this particular shopping excursion I wasn't going to spend a cent of money more on seeds or anything to do with gardening. But then, I saw packages of gorgeous flowers with vibrant reds and oranges for cheap. Real cheap. Like 20 WHOLE cents cheap. How could that be?! Yes, I can do that I told myself. I tossed two packages into my already full cart. And I thought if they work...great! And if they don't...no worries! No guilt trip for wasting money. I planned on buying already bloomed flowers later in the spring anyways. Flowers from under someone else's careful and expert care. I've never planted flower seeds before but have done a few vegetables. 
   In my heart I think I already set my mind up that these probably would not amount to much. So as I planted my tomato and pepper seeds into a special seed starting tray inside my house I also worked on the flower seeds. They were so small. But those I put in an empty egg carton with soil. Nothing fancy. I carefully watered the all seeds and allowed for the sun to shine on them directly. Placing them on the deck on warm days and on our kitchen counter on cooler days and at night. The other veggie seeds had sprouted but not yet the flowers. Still I waited patiently and eventually at the end of May there were a few thin green stems that had sprouted of the 15. I squished those stems that were still alive into one of my outside planters. This planter that had already been filled with beautiful flowers. At this point, I was thinking those thin green sprouts were possibly just weeds. However, I wasn't going to give up just yet. THEN, one day at the end of July this gorgeous orange Zinnia had bloomed from a long stem. It took me by complete surprise! Surprised because deep down I wasn't entirely sure much would come from those 20 cent packets. Because that's inexpensive for a hearty flower to grow isn't it? How naive I was. I stood in AWE and amazement at the beauty. I think I even teared up at God's faithfulness. And in delight at the incredible gift it is to garden and be able to reap those benefits. And a week later another one bloomed, a pink one. And I think a third one will be blooming very soon :).



A smile came over my face and I was grateful. Grateful that I didn't just give up.Grateful that I continued to try to do the best I could day after day. Grateful that my mustard seed faith was enough to keep going. To keep believing that possibly something beautiful would finally come. 

He replied, "If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it will obey you.
Luke 17:6 NIV

   This story isn't really about having faith regarding seeds growing. But rather having faith that God is at work when the surrounding factors seem against your favor. It's about believing that God has a plan when our faith seems small. He tells us if we have faith even as small as a mustard seed that is enough. That is enough to do big things because nothing will be impossible for you. Trust in Him and He will allow you to bloom to your full potential. He will not give up on you. 

He replied, "Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."
Matthew 17:20 NIV

P.S. Next spring don't hesitate to buy a few packets of those cheap seeds, I know I will :). 


No comments:

Post a Comment